Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Multitasking

So the game is still on..go Giants...but I thought I would share my amazing SB meal with you, while its still fresh in my mind...and tummy for that matter....

Appetizer

Blue Cheese Chips (aka my new obsession)

2tbs butter
1 medium onion dinely chopped
2 tbs four
2 cups milk
8oz crumbled blue cheese
Pinch salt
1/2 tsp paprika

Combine the butter and onion and cook at a medium heat for 7 minutes. Wisk in flour for 1 minute. Wisk in milk and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add the blue cheese and stir untill its only a little lumpy. Throw in the salt and paprika. Finally, pour over kettle cooked chips and dive in!

Note: I am suuuuper sensitive to onions. If I eat or even smell a raw onion I get a migraine for days...my secret for cooking is using chopped frozen onions. Its a lifesaver, since so many savory recipes require onions! They are also cheaper than fresh onions and really, does anyone like chopping onion?


Main Event

French Dip Sandwiches

I am obsessed with crock pot food...it tastes the best and is the least effort. What's not to like. This is my new go-to recipe. I have tweaked it and I think I finally found the magic solution...

1.5 lb roast...whatever is on sale, as my grandma would say
2 cans french onion soup
16oz beef broth
1 cup red wine

Toss it all in the crockpot at a low heat for 3 hours or so. After that I turn it down to the keep warm setting, so its falling apart, but not overcooked. I try to have it in the crockpot for 6 hours, though longer, at the lower setting won't hurt it.

Toast a fresh sub sized bun, add provolone cheese and slices of the meat. Take a ladle of the delicious broth you made and use that as the beef dip. Enjoy!

Let me know if you try it out!

1 comment: